Here are the latest COVID-19 updates in downtown Texas for Tuesday, August 24th.
AUSTIN, Texas: KVUE will keep you up to date with the latest news on coronavirus and COVID-19 in the Austin area.
Scroll down to see the headlines and the latest live blog updates from KVUE on August 24th.
- Texas: More than 2.9 million cases have been reported in the state and more than 54,000 people in Texas have died, according to the Texas State Department of Health Services.
- Central Texas Counties:
- Austin-Travis County: The 7-day moving average for admissions to new hospitals is 80 and an average of 627 people are admitted. The 7-day moving average for new cases is 530. Since the beginning of the pandemic, more than 99,717 cases have been reported and at least 927 people have died.
- Hays County: There are currently 2,262 active cases and there are currently 50 people hospitalized (41 unvaccinated, nine fully vaccinated). Since the beginning of the pandemic, at least 24,107 confirmed cases have been reported and at least 298 people have died. At least 21,547 people have recovered from the virus.
- Williamson County: There are 22 new cases of coronavirus in Williamson County. Eleven percent of hospital beds and 1 percent of ICU beds are available. Since the beginning of the pandemic, at least 50,031 cases have been reported and at least 523 people have died.
- Central Texas School Districts:
- Austin ISD: As of 5 p.m., Aug. 23, there are a total of 103 new COVID-19 cases (62 students, 38 employees, three more) and a total of 595 new exhibits (580 students, 15 employees, 1 other).
- Round Rock ISD: As of August 23, there are 49 new positive cases (38 students, 11 employees) and 479 new “close contacts” (316 students, 163 employees). There were 127 positive cumulative cases (89 students, 38 employees) and 912 accumulated “close contacts” (640 students, 272 employees).
- Leander ISD: During the week of August 23-27, there were 132 positive cases in total. There were 383 positive cases accumulated.
- Pflugerville ISD: During the week of August 23-27, there were a total of 4 positive cases. There were 154 positive cases accumulated.
- Hays CISD: During the week of August 23-27, there were a total of 56 new cases reported (23 students, 33 officials).
- Texas Public Schools (School year 2021-22)
- Accumulated cases of positive students: 4,729
- Accumulated cases of positive staff: 3,373
To view COVID-19 data in all counties in the state, click here. KVUE tracks COVID-19 data from five Central Texas school districts. Many school districts have their own COVID-19 board.
GRAPHICS: Coronavirus data as of August 23, 2021
7 h – The Texas Central Food Bank will distribute food to seniors from 10:30 a.m. to noon at 2105 Parker Lane in southern Austin. Anyone aged 60 or over can get 30 pounds of food boxes, which include products such as cheese, milk, preserves, cereals, rice and pasta.
It is recommended that anyone who does not drive a car carry containers to transport food boxes. This food distribution will take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month.
I’LL SEE: The third vaccine against COVID-19 is developed in immunocompromised people
Austin FC’s comforting father-son duo goes viral online
Austin Public Health is preparing for the launch of COVID-19 reinforcements
New Liberty Hill ice cream parlor offering job opportunities for people with intellectual disabilities
The north-northwest brewery could be demolished by a complex with affordable housing